Job Creation and Returning to Fiscal Balance Central Themes
Ottawa, ON – David Tilson, Member of Parliament for Dufferin-Caledon, was in Ottawa for the opening of the third session of the 40th Parliament on March 3rd, which began with the Speech from the Throne, delivered by Her Excellency, the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean.
The Speech outlined the Federal Government’s course for the year ahead and included the following themes:
- Completing Canada’s Economic Action Plan to protect incomes, create jobs, ease credit markets, and help workers and communities get back on their feet.
- Returning to fiscal balance by winding down stimulus spending as economic activity rebounds and by restraining federal program spending overall, while protecting growth in transfers that directly benefit Canadians, such as pensions, health care, and education.
- Continuing to work on job creation and job protection, recognizing that too many Canadians are still looking for work, the Government is helping young Canadians entering today’s job market for the first time make the transition to work.
- Building the jobs and industries of the future by investing in Canadians’ skills and education, keeping taxes low, opening markets to Canadian goods and services, and creating the conditions for continued success of industries that are the foundation of Canada’s prosperity.
- Making Canada the best place for families by strengthening the Universal Child Care Benefit, protecting consumers, ensuring that the law protects everyone while those who commit crimes are held to account.
- Standing up for those who helped build Canada by strengthening Canada’s retirement income system and supporting legislation to establish Seniors Day, continuing to stand up for Canada’s military and its veterans, and continuing to recognize the contributions of Canada’s Aboriginal people.
- Strengthening a united Canada in a changing world by pursuing democratic reforms, further strengthening Canada’s Francophone identity, improving the immigration and refugee systems, helping the North realize its vast potential, and protecting and preserving our natural environment.
When asked for his thoughts on the Speech, Mr. Tilson replied, “The Speech outlines an appropriate and focused approach to the challenges our country faces today. Our Government is continuing to deliver on its commitment to creating jobs and opportunities for growth, while restoring fiscal balance.” He then went on to say, “These are the priorities my constituents were asking for in the weeks leading up to today’s Speech and our Government has listened and responded.”